Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Raid!


Here's both sides to this story and the newspaper coverage of it:

The people from the Rave.

The Utah County Sherrif.

Salt Lake Tribune

Does it seem like the news report favors the police? I don't know. I watched the video and it seemed like the cops were 100% in the wrong with the way they handled the perceived threat at what seemed like a legal gathering.

The police are scaring the shit out of me lately. Neal Shaffer, a comic book writer whose work I like quite a bit, posted this article on his blog about the alleged "terrorist" on the London subway who was actually a totally innocent guy who was executed by the police for what seems to be no apparent reason.

If you can't trust the police, who can you trust? This kind of stuff truly scares the shit out of me. I've never been "afraid of the terrorists" but day by day I become more wary of the people whom we trust to protect us from them. It seems like we need just as much protection from the protectors.

UPDATE: Here's a link to the mugshots of all the hardened criminals they brought in that night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who watches the watchmen?

Unknown said...

That's exactly what Elias said. I just wasn't smart enough to remember to include that in the post...