Sunday, August 07, 2005

A Caveat

I just wanted everyone who reads this to know that I'm not exactly sure if this blog gives an accurate picture of who we are. I mean, I always sort of feel exposed every time I put an extremely opinionated post on the blog here. I feel like maybe I could be wrong, or an idiot, or naive, or just flat out stupid. It takes a lot for me to feel so convicted about something that I won't backpeddle. I think that all of us, and probably everyone in general, are a lot more coherent in an argument or ellucidating a point in person, as oppposed to behind this mask of virtual anonymity.

I just want everyone to know that it takes a lot for me to post things because I really do feel sort of exposed. And if I'm wrong about something, let me know. But I also don't want people to get the idea that they can get a sense of the three of us through this blog. We are a lot more interesting in person.

I hate to admit though, that I actually like this blogging business. So, hopefully, those of you who come through here and read our rants about film and politics and whatever are enlightened at least just a little bit. And slightly better informed.

2 comments:

y-intercept said...

I have a faint hope that blogging will help people discover the lost art of discourse.

It is good that you feel vulnerable when blogging. In classical discourse, the ideal is that statements should be clear and refutable. When we speak in clear, refutable statements, then we start communicating information.

The problem with classical reasoning is that our statements become refutable and we feel vulnerable.

Modern discourse seems to be dominated by weird dialectical systems where people speak in paradoxes, intentionally injecting logical errors into discourse, or simply resorting to ridicule of one's enemies.

These new ways of talk make people feel invulnerable. For example, if all you do is ridicule enemies, you will find yourself feeling on top of the world. But real discourse stops.

I haven't been able to force myself to see This Divided State. I don't want to see people engaged in non-communication.

I hope you continue to feel vulnerable in blogging. It is a sign that you are doing things right.

Anonymous said...

Enlightened and Informed keep it up...