Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Cindy Sheehan

I've been avoiding this. Writing a post about Cindy Sheehan, I mean. Just about everything has been said about it. Why the hell should I chime in? I mean, all she's really doing is a joint protest-grieving session. Nothing wrong with that in my book.


What I do want to comment on is W.'s handling of the situation. His support for the war in general is waning. People think he's dishonest and I really believe people view him as the head of Ameri Co. as opposed to America. And I think that Cindy Sheehan has offered George Bush an amazing opportunity. Think about what would happen if George came down to Camp Casey in his truck all by himself except for his dogs. In the back of the truck is the fixin's for a barbecue. And he spent the afternoon out there, without his handlers, tlaking to these people, showing him that he is human, let them know that he cares. I think that would be an amazing presidential moment that would make it onto all of those "Best Presidential Moments" reels and lists and what not.

I would have so much more respect for the man if he would just go out there and have a personal moment with these people and showed the nation that he was one of them and not some corporate sleaze ball who wants to hide behind a podium.

I understand that W. doesn't owe Cindy Sheehan, or anyone there, any amount of face time. But it would be a uniting move on his part. His track record shows how much of a divider he is, think about how much of an amazing first step towards uniting this could be. Like I said, it would be an amazing moment in Presidential history.

Will he take that first step? Probably not. Will he ever? I would doubt it.

1 comment:

UncleFire said...

Great minds think alike. I posted something very similar to this. Not as nicely formatted though. But good points.