Saturday, January 14, 2006

STEVE'S BEST FILMS OF 2005


OK, there are still a lot of films from 2005 that I still haven't seen yet, and they're probably amazing. These would include CAPOTE, KISS KISS BANG BANG, THE SQUID AND THE WHALE, MRS. HENDERSON PRESENTS, etc. But, out of the films I DID see from 2005, here's my top 5:

1) BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (This is a perfect film. 100%. The best love story I've seen on screen other than ETERNAL SUNSHINE. It'll win Best Picture and I bawled my eyes out during the entire 3rd act)


2) MUNICH (see my review earlier on the BLOG, a masterpiece, Spielberg's best since... well in a long time)


3) SYRIANA (An emotinally draining film and intelligently crafted. Most Utahns probably left scratching their heads)


4) STATES OF GRACE (Forget about ALL the other films made by Mormons. Richard Dutcher's GRACE is powerful, heart-breaking, and inspiring)


5) KING KONG (A masterpiece. Absolutely brilliant. A step of genius for Peter Jackson. And, no, I didn't think Jack Black's last line was cheesy. It was perfect.)


RUNNERS UP NEW YORK DOLL, SIN CITY, CRASH, STAR WARS EPISODE III (seriously), MURDERBALL, and I think that's it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would The Constant Gardener fit in your top 10? I thought that was bar-none one of the best, and most underrated, films of the past year.

... said...

You know, I saw it. And it was good. But after it was over, I didn't think it was GREAT. It was the same with "Good Night and Good Luck". Good movie. Not GREAT. Maybe I need to re-watch "The Constant Gardener" and give it a second shot...

Anonymous said...

Steven,

Any gossip...err...insider information about what's coming up on Sundance Film Festival? Give us a 'heads up'! What to look for?

I think I'm too late to be a volunteer for the SFF. Dang.