Friday, December 09, 2005

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: PART 2

It wasn't that bad. It had a couple of moments that could have been better or made more sense (why in the hell would Mr. Beaver and the other kids chase Edmund to within 100 yards of the White Witchs castle and then start running?)

But I was able to suspend enough disbelief and go back to being a kid that I reall enjoyed it.

Let me stress that: This is a kids movie. This is the movie to show your kids before they are old enough to grasp The Lord of the Rings.

And I'm so glad that Adamson went with generally period music. I was afraid that instead of the Andrews Sisters I was going to get like... the Dixie chicks or something.

And the Christian undertones don't bother me. It's all mythology to me and it's all fascinating. If you ask me, Narnia is every bit as relevant as a religious teaching as The Bible, Star Wars or the Odyssey.

I also loved these books as children. So that explains a connection to the characters I'm not sure I would have had if I hadn't grown up with them. It was the same thing with Sahara. I think it was a bad movie, but I was so enamored by the characters after having read Dirk Pitt books from the time I was in grade school and beyond.

So, go see it and be sure to take your kids.

(Also, Prince Caspian was my favorite of the books, I can't wait to see that one on screen.)

No comments: