Saturday, February 04, 2006

Required Reading

I just wanted to let everyone know that The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay should be required reading.

It's probably one of the best books I've ever read in my life. The prose in the book makes you feel so hideously inadequate when you think about it next to yours. The characters are well-thought out, the story is sweeping and grand, the situations realistic and the setting is as life-like as one could expect. I vote that everyone should read this book. Especially if you like comic books.

I can't preach enough about how engaging the book is. I've read it three times now and it remains as fresh and well-written and well-put together as it was the first time.

It doesn't seem to get old.

So, take my advice and at least try to get it at your local library, but it would be well worth your money to just buy it. As soon as you read it, you'll want it in your collection anyhow.

To accompany this post, I grabbed some art of the Escapist (the ficitonal comic book hero in the book) that appears to be drawn by Mike Mignola, one of my favorite artists.

No comments: