Monday, February 06, 2006

The Prestige


I got finished reading Christopher Priest's "The Prestige" which is the basis for Christopher Nolan's next motion pitcure of the same name. I have to say, I really think the film is going to be dynamite. I hope, anyway. There are a lot of different ways this material can be adapted and if the adaptation was as skillful as it could/should be, then this film will be one to watch. Doubly so when you consider the amazing cast Nolan has assembled (Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansen, Michael Caine, Andy Serkis, David Bowie, etc.)

I was fascinated by the style of writing in the novel as well. It's framed around a story in the present and ancestors of the two lead characters reading their diaries from the 1870's to 1904 or so. It was a terribly interesting exploration in points of view.

I'm still not sure about the ending, but I'm going to re-read it pretty soon, but I would say that it's worth reading. It's an interesting excercise in perception.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Actually, Batman is the only movie of his I have seen. I know, I get scolded regularly for not having seen Memento, but I'm really excited about the Prestige.

I'm going to have to track down a copy of this "Following" picture though. Thanks for the heads up.