Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Long Halloween

Every once in a while, I just withdraw from the world and do very little but read. The last while has been one of those periods. I've been reading text books, fiction novels and lots of comics. Every once in a while, the storytelling you find will just knock your socks off, no matter how many times you may have read the material.

I picked up Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's "The Long Halloween" again. I've read it probably a dozen times, but it never ceases to amaze me. Loeb's cinematic style of storytelling is quite a sight to see in combination with Sale's stylized art. It's also fun to see which of my favorite gangster movies are obviously Loeb's favorite as well. (The first line of dialogue in the book has Bruce Wayne telling a mob boss, "I believe in Gotham City." Familiar?)

Jeph Loeb just manages to raise the bar on superhero comics. In fact, he's sort of ruined Batman for me lately. I've read Batman faithfully every month since Knightfall. After Hush, nothing seemed to stack up as well. And Judd Winicks run has done nothing but piss me off. (In Hush, Jeph Loeb brought Jason Todd back to life for a brief moment (it was really Clayface) because he knew how stupid it would be to really bring him back. Judd Winick really brought him back. Balls to that.)

Plus, the whole killing the Spoiler thing kind of pissed me off.

Anyway, long story short: Go read the Long Halloween. If you've never read it before, you're in for a treat, if you have read it before, read it again. You'll find that you can enjoy it on a completely new level.

On a sidenote: Does anyone know why they haven't created an IMDb sort of database for comics? I can't begin to tell you how useful and awesome that would be.

1 comment:

Jack Tripper said...

Bryan,

I have never been able to enjoy reading comics all that much. It's weird, I've always liked the art work and stuff but it's easier for me to read a novel. I think it's because with comics there is so much to graphically distract the eye. It's hard for me to stay focused on the words. Anyway, it's been years and years since I've read a comic, maybe it's time to give it another shot. I do have a # 2 Star Wars comic from 1977. You think it's worth very much?

You will be happy to know that I have a stack of DVD's next to me, and one of them is "This Divided State". I've got a couple of busy days ahead but by mid next week I should be able to give it a gander.

I hope you guys aren't still all mad at me. Steve sure likes to make fun of my name. Don't get me wrong, I can dish it out and I can take it too but he isn't taking me seriously when I say that his cussing is hurtful to my state of mind. It's just not good for your mental health if you know what i mean. Anyways, I can't sleep cause I got a lot on my mind right now.

If you talk to him soon let him know to lay off a little. Like i said earlier if he wants to call me "Doogie" or "Daffy" or whatever, that's fine that way I know he's razzing me in god fun.

your pal,

Duckie