Friday, February 17, 2006

Bringing out the Dead


I just wanted to take this time out to shine a light on one of Martin Scorsese's underappreciated masterpieces.

Bringing out the Dead.

I watched it again after quite a long hiatus (a couple of years or so) and have to say that it's an achievement to be sure. The acting, the mood, the tone, the editing, the cinematography... all of it gives you the feeling you're going through Frank's "Hard Times" with him.

It's claustrophobic. It's dark. It's moody. It's scary. Above all though, I think it's hilarious. Bringing out the Dead is probably one of Scorsese's funniest movies. Each of the men Frank is partnered with during the course of the movie gives you a different sense of oddity and wonder through the film, it's almost as though we're watching three films that have one recurring character in them.

I don't know.

Martin Scorsese consistently blows my mind, so I guess this isn't all that big of a surprise. At the end of the day, this is just me reminding you to go pull it out of your DVD library and watch it again. And if you don't have it, you'd do well to get it.

No comments: