Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Victory Strategy


Well, I'm sure I'm not the only one on the internets posting about this, but George W. made a speech today that was a rehash of his tired old "stay the course" stump speech.

I, for the life of me, don't understand what was wrong with Murtha's plan. Some of Georges Generals have agreed that American presence inflames the insurgency problem and Murtha proposed that we phase the troops out of Iraqs borders and into the borders of surrounding nations, ready to swoop in if the heat gets too much for the Iraqi security forces. It'll be a trial by fire for the Iraqi security forces, to be sure, but at the risk of mixing metaphors, wouldn't it do them better to throw them in the pool and let them sink or swim?

I'd bet that not only would they swim, the rate of insurgent attack would drop sharply.

I'm really sick of getting these publicity stunt speechs. Although I disagree with most everything he stands for, John Warner (R-VA) has suggested that Bush begin doing weekly FDR-style fireside chats. (scroll to the middle of the page) That would be a step in the right direction. We should modernize it a little though, put it on TV and let Bush deal with an audience with 50% for him and 50% against. This would help with transparency, the more they come out and talk about it, the more we know what they're up to.

On second that, that might be bad. The more Bush talks about his victory strategy in Iraq, the surer I am we're going to get our asses handed to us.

No comments: