Sunday, May 13, 2007

Lucky You


I just wanted to go on the record with how preposterously horrible the film "Lucky You" was.

I got dragged to see it, but even those who did the dragging left as disgusted as I was.

I had some small glimmer of hope for this film. It was directed by Curtis Hanson who has wowed me in the past. In fact, I would go so far as to say that he directed my favorite film of 1997. I mean, if you don't count the Star Wars Special Editions, L.A. Confidential was certainly the best movie of '97. The only other film that could approach it was As Good As it Gets. And I really liked his follow-up to L.A. Confidential, WonderBoys, based on the Michael Chabon novel.

I never actually saw another movie he's made since then. I heard 8 Mile was okay, but after this steaming turd I'll think twice about seeing more Curtis Hanson pictures. Were you to steal a copy of this film you truly would be a turd burglar.

Lucky You was seriously that bad.

And it had a competent cast. Eric Bana, Robert Duvall and Drew Barrymore are all capable (the former two much, much moreso than the latter) but they were given nothing to work with. Nothing. The dialogue was so bad I literally asked if we could leave at one point and at another point I had to restrain myself from throwing my bottled water at the screen. The poker in the film was awful, too. The poker lingo, the filming the poker, the cameras filming the poker and the announcers, it all really, really sucked.

And the ending of the film was laughable.

The problem was the script, it really was. And when I looked into that, it seems as though the writer, Eric Roth, is truly a mixed bag. His pendulum swings wide, from "Munich" to "The Postman".

It sucks that this film was more Postman than Munich.

I thought people hired readers in Hollywood to prevent dreck like this from getting made...

1 comment:

PunditFight said...

If you're going to criticise the movie, i would have started with the fact that it was overlong.
Curtis Hanson knows his stuff, this movie was no exception. could have been edited tighter i guess. definitely more promising at the start. especially when the movie was romanticising Vegas