Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Good German


So, I picked up a copy of "The Good German" the other day and I couldn't put it down. I devoured inside of the first twenty-four hours of owning it.

It was a marvelous piece of fiction that reminded me of a slightly more long winded version of a Graham Greene.

It would have been both a joy and a torture to cut down into an adaptation and I would have loved doing so. I'm very curious to see how they do it.

But like I said, if the movie is half as good as the book is, we're all in for a treat.

The thing that sucks about it though is this: "The Good German" came out yesterday, but only in limited release. I might not get to see it here until well into next month and that both confuses and infuriates me. I want to see it now, I've been dying to see it for a while. I like Soderbergh (generally) and I love old post-war reconstruction films of the era which this is so clearly aping.

It makes me happy. Whether this is a success or not, they should take more cues from films that came out of that era. They're much more timeless than most of the crap that comes out nowadays.

No comments: