Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Gerald Ford

Gerald Ford passed away yesterday. And he's probably the last Republican President I've had even a shred of respect for. Although if I were to do any digging I'm not sure if I would have any more respect for him, but that's beside the point.

I want to talk about the decisions of the Daily Herald.

I opened up the paper this morning and figured that the passing of the 38th and (almost) only unelected President would rate a five column headline across the top of the page. If nothing else, I figured that it would be at the very least above the fold. Instead, above the fold is a local story of Human tragedy. Granted it is important, but more important than the death of one of the few remaining former presidents?

So, I turn the paper over, and 2/3rds of the paper below the fold is a photograph of a man ice climbing with no accompanying story.

Below that is the news that Gerald Ford died.

I don't know. I like the Herald and, in all honesty, they probably made this decision to sell more papers but it just feels like it was a bad choice.

No comments: