Wednesday, February 06, 2008

THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES by the coward robert ford

Wow.

It's 3:00am and I just finished watching the nearly 3 hour "Assassination of Jesse James" and I'm wired.

I always get hyped up whenever I watch a film that is completely and utterly enrapturing. Which is amazing since this film had one of the things I usually hate: a very sporadic narrator. But it worked for me. It was like a History Channel movie but with raw human emotions, sudden horrific violence, and soul-ripping performances. The tension that builds for 3 hours culminated to the point that I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my hands clasped and my teeth biting my lip.

And what's funny is that I knew how the story ended. I mean the title kind of gives it away. But when you're presented with the power house performances of Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck (Affleck especially), you see their characters as deeply tortured human beings, and not just historical figures. The director devised a way for the script to flow in sort of non-linear form and at the end I was actually asking myself "What is going to happen? How does this end?"

I have to tell you. Casey Affleck is a sure-fire rival to Javier Bardem for Best Supporting Actor.

No comments: