Thursday, January 11, 2007

A name fitting UVSC's slant

Well, Michael Moore and UVSC are together again in the news. This time, a “Charles F. Abbot” of Provo offered the following in today’s Daily Herald under the headline “A name fitting UVSC‘s slant”:
After the Michael Moore fiasco and Utah Valley State College’s decision to select the “Vagina Monologues” as its school play I decided I would never support this college, even by visiting its campus, and encourage my friends to withdraw any support they might be offering.

However, I understand the college is seeking help on picking a new name. I decided this was some small support I could in good conscience offer. How about “UVSC at Berkeley”?

Charles F. Abbot
Provo
Two things disturb me about this letter. The first is all the standard arguments about this manss anti-intellectualism, etc. It’s disturbing that people are still pissed off about Michael Moore’s visit to campus and the production of the “Vagina Monologues.” It’s even more disturbing that this Charles F. Abbott character is so bent out of shape about it that he had to renew his rage in so public a forum.

The most disturbing thing about this is, though, is that I’m almost sure this Charles F. Abbott guy used to write what used to be one of my favorite columns in the Herald from my days in High School. He wrote a column that answered various legal questions and explained the ins-and-outs of the law. I really liked his column. I’m something of a junkie for that sort of thing, but if it was him that did all that writing, I doubt I’d read his column again. I mean, if his judgment was so lapsed about the above issue, what else could he be dead wrong about?

(I did a little calling around and I'm still not sure if they're the same guy. I would hope not, the lawyer Charles F. Abbott seems like he'd be way more reasonable than letter-to-the-editor writing zealot Charles F. Abbott.)

No comments: