Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Man, oh man...

It seems as though today was a good day for Democracy for America, but it illuminated how willing Utah voters are to cut off their noses to spite their faces. I'm not surprised that everyone I voted for lost but I am disappointed.

I'm not disappointed because I'm a partisan shill or because I hate all Republicans. I'm disappointed because Utahns care more about people and this country than their voting tendencies would otherwise lead me to believe. If I were to look at this election today, I would imagine that 62% of Utahns thought torture was an acceptable tactic, despite their religious persuasion that dictates otherwise. I would imagine that 62% of Utahns don't want to help out their fellow Americans with things like Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security and other vital social programs that are rooted deep in Christianity. I would imagine that 62% of Utahns believed that violence was an acceptable solution to problems. I would imagine that 62% of Utahns don't believe in fiscal responsibility or balanced budgets. I would guess that 62% of Utahns cared more about the best interests of corporations than in the souls of individuals. I would guess that 62% of Utahns felt that flag-burning was the most pervasive issue facing this country today.

But I don't think that's so.

My disappointment stems from the fact that I had more faith in Utahns to realize where their values really were. I'm disappointed that my fellow Utahns are so used to voting against their values that it has become an instinct. I'm so disappointed that my fellow Utahns would vote for a man like Orrin Hatch, a man who used scare tactics, doing his best to convince his defeat would mean a win for the terrorists.

It's not just disappointing. The more I think about it, I think it's disgusting.

But let's not forget that the country made major strides toward sanity and sensibility overall, despite Utah's lunacy.

The House is now deeply in control of the Democrats and that is a good thing. We'll finally have a legislative body that can stand up to the preposterous and damaging attitudes and policies of the Bush regime.

The Senate is still up in the air, right before I go to sleep. According to most credible news sources at the moment, two seats are left and the Democrats are leading in both races. I'm hoping and predicting that Democrats will take them. Not because I like Democrats, per se, but because Democrats are not the party of George Bush.

At the very least, they deserve a chance.

They couldn't do any worse than the Republicans.

(p.s. I sincerely regret not being able to make it to the Ashdown party tonight. I had to work and it made me genuinely sad when I realized I wasn't going to be done in time to make it. So, I suppose, I was there in spirit.)

No comments: