Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Young Lions


I found a copy of a film called "The Young Lions" on sale for $5 and decided I would get it. Well, the cast listed across the top sort of decided that for me. Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift and Dean Martin. Maybe I'm an idiot but I'd never heard of this movie before.

It was an amazing motion picture.

It was filmed in 1958 and movies like this are why they made movies.

It almost makes me want to not watch new movies with new actors in them. Marlon Brando was so good as a Nazi officer that I don't think anyone could ever act as well in a movie. I know there are performers out there who do good jobs, but you need to see Brando in this picture.

Montgomery Clift also does a swell job, playing one-hundred percent against type. Dean Martin plays Dean Martin, but I like Dean Martin, so nyeh.

Anyhow, it follows two Americans and a German through the course of the war and none of them want to fight.

In fact, Brando's Nazi officer is pretty much a pacifist. By the end of the movie, you're shocked and teary-eyed to see him go.

I don't know, I've been watching a lot of movies from the forties and fifties and they just seem to beat the pants off of everything that is coming out these days. Maybe it's because I'm at the movies every week and most everything sucks, but when I find something fromt he forties or fifties, someone thought it was good enough to warrant a transfer to DVD. I guess no one wants to blow money on shitty movies.

Anyway, to make a long story short, if you can get a hold of "The Young Lions" do so. The acting is amazing and the story is heartbreaking.

No comments: