Friday, March 17, 2006

V for Vendetta


I saw V for Vendetta last night and I left the theatre pissed off. Not because the movie was terrible, it wasn't. (It wasn't amazing either, though.) I left pissed because I wanted to do something about politics other than bitch about them.

I mean, I have a soft spot for revolution against evil governments and Natalie Portman so the movie worked for me on that level. Some of the technique and filmmaking wasn't anything to write home about (what was with the "swoosh" effect on the daggers? And the blood looked like ketchup from a Carl's Jr. commercial). The script had quite a few problems (I could guess that this is why Alan Moore wanted his name taken off), namely its advancement of time made very little sense (a year passes but it feels more like a couple of weeks) and inconsistency with the government (Evey can't even sneeze without the government knowing in the first half of the film, but when she leaves V's castle in the second half of the film she manages to find a fake ID and live anonymously without government interference). There were moments that I really liked, but there were a couple of moments that were preposterous (like V's castle overlooking London and no one being able to find him). The ending of the movie got into force-feeding-the -point territory.

At the end of the day though, the most important thing about the film is the message and I'm glad geeks will be able to go see it.

It dealt alot with the creation of fear to control the masses which is the only reason we have Bush in office, again. "People should not be afraid of their governments, their governments should be afraid of the people." Remember when Franklin Roosevelt said, "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

Maybe it would help if we had someone like "V" in George Bush's America.

Maybe that could fix things.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Just a heads up for you guys.