Wednesday, March 29, 2006

It's Not Amnesty

I read this editorial in the New York Times and it made me actually want to seek out a computer and post a link to its online version.

It Isn't Amnesty.

This editorial says it all. I'm surprised at how much the Immigrant debate hasn't been more in the forefront in the last five years, but now it seems to be blowing up.

Personally, I can get behind the bi-partisan measures proposed by the judiciary committee and my feelings on it echoed the Times editorial before I even knew it existed.

I've always been appalled at the feelings of anger toward illegal immigrants from some conservatives I've spoken with. When we did our last screening of This Divided State at Utah Valley State College it was hosted by the college Republicans. The head of their organization explained afterwards, during the debate, that the single largest problem facing the USA was illegal immigration and he intimated that what the minute-men were doing was admirable. It was a little shocking that thinking that barbaric could still exist.

The sentiment that we should all maintain about immigration in this country is emblazoned on one of the most recognizable American landmarks and symbols of freedom.

Read it. The New Colossus, by Emma Lazarus. It is engraved on a tablet in the pedestal on which the Statue of Liberty stands:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

It seems to me that the plan proposed by the Senate Judiciary committee truly does lift their lamp beside our golden door.

No comments: