Friday, February 23, 2007

Oscar Predictions


I just wanted to go on the record with some Oscar predictions.

We'll see how wrong I am after we get to Los Angeles. Yeah, Steve and I are leaving for Los Angeles for a week of shooting on Sunday night during the Oscars broadcast. It's the first I'll miss in probably fifteen years.

Anyhow, on to the predictions:

BEST PICTURE: I really think this category is wide open. Any of the films can win quite easily, all it needs to win is 20% + 1. My money is on the Academy finally saying enough is enough and just give the Picture/Director awards to Scorsese in a much-too late apology for not giving Raging Bull or Goodfellas the top Oscar. My pick and personal favorite is: THE DEPARTED.

BEST DIRECTOR: MARTIN SCORSESE.
They've got Spielberg, Lucas and Coppola co-presenting the award, you honestly think they're not planning on it being their old buddy Marty?

BEST ACTOR:
I think Forrest Whitaker has this in the bag, although I could see it going to Peter O'Toole quite easily. My pick though is that FOREST WHITAKER will get it.

BEST ACTRESS: I'd be a fool not to say HELEN MIRREN.

I didn't see Dreamgirls, but I'm calling these two categories for it:

SUPPORTING ACTRESS: JENNIFER HUDSON

SUPORTING ACTOR: EDDIE MURPHY

ANIMATED FEATURE:
I think this is a toss-up between Happy Feet and Cars, although I think the actual best animated feature, Monster House, doesn't have a chance. I'm sticking with Pixar: CARS.

BEST DOCUMENTARY: AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
Hands down: PAN'S LABYRINTH.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
I think this is a tough category this year and one of the best adaptations wasn't even nominated (The Prestige) but I think it's a tossup between Children of Men and the Departed and I'm going to go with THE DEPARTED.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
I want Pan's Labyrinth to win this award. But, as much as it disgusts me to say, despite the utter shallowness of the script, LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE will probably walk away with the award.

So, there you have it.

Bryan's Oscar picks.

Don't blame me if I'm wrong.

No comments: