Monday, October 16, 2006

Top 100 best reviewed of 2005

So, I've been really interested in overall critical response of movies lately. It's interesting to see movies rated side by side by groups of the same critics and Rotten Tomatoes does a really good job of cataloguing everything.


So, I was curious about what sort of movie get's a 100% and I found this list.

It's got a lot of good movies on there.

Then I discovered that they had top 100 lists divided by year. I was working my way backwards and discovered that "This Divided State" is number 97 on Rotten Tomatoes' best reviewed films of 2005 list.

We rank right above "Serenity" (which I loved), "Oldboy" and "Inside Deep Throat."

I just found that horribly interesting.

Also, on a side note, I have to say that I'm learning so much about film by watching Woody Allen movies. My brother and I went to a used DVD store and picked up 11 of them and we're working our way through them and so far, I haven't seen a Woody Allen movie I didn't like.

What I'm saying is, go get a hold of some Woody Allen movies. My favorites so far? "Hannah and Her Sisters," "Manhattan," "Husbands and Wives," and "Match Point."

Go check them out.

3 comments:

Jack Tripper said...

Bryan,

Congrats on 97th! Not too shabby I must say.

I've recommended flicks in the past but I'm not sure if you have checked any of them out or not.

But if you are checking out Woody Allen's stuff, I must say that "Take the Money and Run" is among my favorites. Have you checked that one out yet? If so, what did you think? If not, you need to check it out.

Your pal,

Duckie

Unknown said...

I will have to get ahold of it. I'm head over heels about woody allen right now.

Jack Tripper said...

Bryan,

Here's my take on "Take the Money and Run" (without spoiling anything of course so read on without hesitation.)

When the topic of Mockumentary Comedies comes up, people always hyper focus on Reiner's "This is Spinal Tap" and the many Guest "Mocks" that followed.

Those films are darn fine, but in terms of chronological context...

Spinal Tap was released in 1984 while "Take the Money and Run" came out in 1969!

When you watch it, watch it with that in mind and it should blow you away how much ahead of the curve Allen was with Take the Money.

I love many of his films but this is the one that turned me on to him at the tender age of 9.

Your Pal,

Duckie