Friday, October 13, 2006

Friday the 13th

Neal over at leftwich mentioned that a Friday the 13th in October was a rare treat and he was going to offer up five horror films to cap off the day.

Well, I'm going to post my five horror film recommendations.

Now, bear in mind, I generally hate horror films. All of them that have come out lately, I think, blow. Like Dark Water and The Grudge and Saw. I think they are all horrible. Now, I know a lot of people who have the opposite opinion, but I think it's because they're able to turn their brains off.

So, without further ado, here's a list of five movies that actually scare me.

1) Alien. Ridley Scott's kickstart to the Alien franchise is certainly the best of the lot. There are moments in the film that are truly terrifying and the filmmaking and acting are top notch. Sometimes, I think Ridley Scott peaked with Alien.

2) John Carpenters "The Thing." This movie is essentially a cabin fever story with an alien, just like Alien, but it's still really goddamn cool.

3) The Shining. I guess I just like movies with Cabin fever themes. But I don't need to tell anyone how creepy this movie is. This is Kubrick at the top of his game and the kid who plays Danny Torrance is just...creepy....

4) Psycho. Very few movies keep me on the edge of my seat like this one does. I like horror movies where the monsters are people. This is an amazing example of it.

5) 28 Days Later. This is the second best zombie movie ever. (It runs a close second to Shaun of the Dead.)

And the honorable mention goes to Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn. That movie used to scare the bejesus out of me.

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

I'm totally with you on 28 Days Later .. it scared the living hell out of me, but I also slightly prefer Shaun of the Dead for the humor .. Definitely looking forward to Hot Fuzz, the next flick from the Shaun crew, but not so much the iffy-looking 28 Days sequel in the works

... said...

My scary favs:

John Carpenter's HALLOWEEN

THE EXORCIST

28 DAYS LATER

THE DEVIL'S REJECTS

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

JACOB'S LADDER

THE SHINING