Friday, August 29, 2008

DNC WRAP UP (pt 1)

Ok, so I watched every night of the DNC and then spent at least an hour afterwards geeking out on Daily Kos. Hence, the neglect here. But, I've got my thoughts still, so, here we go:

Before talking about Hillary, here are some of my favorite quotes from the DNC:

"John McCain calls himself a maverick, but he votes with George Bush over 90 percent of the time. That's not a maverick that's a sidekick." –Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA)

"He as taken more than a million from the oil and gas industries ... he wants to give those oil companies another $4 billion in tax breaks ... Four billion in tax breaks? That's a lot change, but not the change we need." –Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer

"Wake up, America! Wake up, America!" - Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich

"That campaign generated so much heat, it increased global warming." - President Bill Clinton on the race for delegates between Hillary and Barack

"We can't simply drill our way to energy independence if you drilled everywhere, if you drilled in all of John McCain's backyards, even the ones he doesn't know he has." –Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer


I have to say, there was a tangible air of tension all day Tuesday. The media hacks spent most of the day asking Hillary supporters why they were protesting Obama and why some of them were going as far as throwing their vote to John McCain. These people were called "PUMA"s (Party Unity My Ass), which meant if you took that literally, "Party Unity's" ass was fat and ugly with gigantic ounces of estrogen and misplaced daddy issues. I mean, these women (cuz everyone I saw was a woman) seriously hated themselves. One person said, "These women voting for John McCain is like a chicken voting for Col. Sanders". As some of you may know, I am a serious Freudian, and thus my opinion on all this is very cut and dry. I won't expound on it right now, but suffice to say, these women weren't protesting politics, they were protesting a penis.

Everyone, I introduce the craziest bitches ever:



Ok, so, leading up to Hillary's speech that night was nail biting for a few folks. Would she say something to blow the whole convention out of the water? Would she strongly support Barack Obama? Would she convince her batshit crazy supporters to wake the fuck up?

Chelsea Clinton took the stage and introduced her mom with this video:



Then it was Hillary. On Daily Kos, everyone was writing comments like "OMG, so nervous" or "WTF is she going to say?!"

Right off the top, Hillary shouted:

"I am here tonight as a proud mother, a proud Democrat, a proud senator from New York, a proud American, and a proud supporter of Barack Obama!"

Daily Kos comments: "Whew!" and "Wow! She just dove right in!", etc, etc.

"It makes perfect sense that George Bush and John McCain will be together next week in the Twin Cities, because these days they're awfully hard to tell apart." - Hilary Clinton

"To my supporters, to my champions -- to my sisterhood of the traveling pant suits -- from the bottom of my heart, thank you." - Hilary Clinton

The quote from Hillary that actually got tears in my eyes was when she talked about the advice Harriett Tubman gave to the slaves she was rescuing through the Underground Railroad:

"If you hear the dogs, keep going. If you see the torches in the woods, keep going. If they're shouting after you, keep going. Don't ever stop! Keep going! If you want a taste of freedom, keep going!"

Hillary Clinton gave, what many are calling, "the speech of her career". I couldn't agree more. She nailed it. A huge sigh of relief all around at the end of the night.

VIDEO OF HER ENTIRE SPEECH



No comments: